Monday, August 29, 2016

Author Interview - Bryce



Gather ‘round folks, we’ve got a special guest today: a good friend of mine by the name of Bryce, who’s self-published the first book in his trilogy, and is preparing to release the second one with a few weeks. Let’s chat, shall we?

Hey Bryce, and welcome to Story Forger! Tell us a tidbit or two about yourself, if you don’t mind.
Hey Aidan, thanks for having me. Let's see...interesting facts... I'm 17 years old, am homeschooled, and play baseball. (Hopefully these are interesting....)

You're currently published, if I'm correct. Mind telling us what the published book is about?
Yes, that's correct. My first book is titled Claervont Captive, and is a story about a young squire who joins in a rebellion against the throne. Throughout the course of the book, Michal, the main character, learns the meaning of loyalty, and must determine whose side he's really on.

Did anything inspire this project? If so, what was it?
 Ever since I was young, I've always loved the medieval era, and when I began writing, I knew that I wanted my first book to be a medieval fantasy. Specific books such as Lord of the Rings and the Chiveis Trilogy (by Brian Litfin) influenced me greatly. Some elements of the story were also drawn from Shakespeare, and the biblical story of Paul's conversion.

I know your second book is close to publication, so tell us a little about that, too. When will it be available?
 The second book picks up a few years after the end of the first, but for the sake of spoilers that's all I can say at the time. However, I plan to publish it by the end of August.

Because variety is good, what sort of things do you do besides writing?
 I love to play sports, and I play baseball on a homeschool high school team in my hometown. I also enjoy to read (though you might've guessed that), as well as the occasional archery session.

Who is your favorite fictional character (feel free to list a top three or something)?
 Oh boy... That's a toughie. I'll have to go with probably either
1) Artemis Fowl. I know, I know, these books aren't medieval fantasy. But they're still amazing and the title character is brilliant and extremely likable.
2) Achan from Jill Williamson's Blood of Kings series. He's an extremely relatable character who struggles with very real things, and his development throughout the story was rewarding to see.

Do you have any advice for the readers (now is your chance to impress on our young minds your opinions)?
 Always be aware when you're reading. Try to get more out of each book than simply a good read (though admittedly it can sometimes be hard). Think about the story's theme, and the author's purpose in writing it. Sometimes this analysis can a) deepen your appreciation for the book, or b ) (and equally as important) tip you off about issues in the messages being sent. Authors have a lot of power with their words, and as readers it's important that we realize that.

Finally, how many fish would be your friends if you were a fish?
 If I were a fish, I'd be in one of those massive schools with like 10,000 other fish. It'd be one great big party.

Thank you for stopping by today! Well, before you leave, is there any way the readers can connect with you and/or your writings?
Thank you for hosting me! It's been fun.
I'm working on building my website at the moment, but for now my books are available here: www.lulu.com/spotlight/TheClaervontChronicles
People are also free to contact me via email at theclaervontchronicles@gmail.com if they have any other questions. 



All right, everyone, that’s Bryce in less than six hundred words (because, you know, that’s all there is to know about him). As he said, you can find his books here, and the second one will be out soon!

4 comments:

  1. must... get... the... second... book... now... O_O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really want to get these now...
    And the fish question was funny. XP What made you think of asking that one?

    oh, and *follows* :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do get them! I highly recommend them (I got to read the sequel as a beta reader before I actually read the first one... whoops).

      I like to ask a random question at the end of these kinds of things, and that was just the first thing that came into my mind. =P

      :D

      Delete